Artist Feature v3: Laura Caldentey

Tell us a little about you:
My name is Laura Caldentey and I'm behind Lauryn Green's blog. I love to take analog photos, drawing, sewing, food, cooking, films and animals. I live in Spain in a little island called Mallorca and I dream of travel around the world with my camera.

Where did you study? (if applicable)
I studied art for two years in high school, and now I'm studying audio and video in Mallorca (Spain) where I live.



How long have you been painting/drawing/illustrating/etc?
I've never stopped drawing. Since I was a child I love to draw. I remember that I started to learn how to
draw copying my favourites animes. I drew comics and cartoons for my friends, just for fun. But in these past months I've been drawing a lot more. I'm also doing animation (stop motion) with my friends, I love that since I was a child too. In university I've learnt photography and some cinema skills and recently we did our first short film called "Daydream". I wrote and directed it, and I'm very proud of it.



How did you get started with your art?
I think it was when I started my personal blog (Lauryn Green). I just wanted to use it to share my drawings, photos and thoughts. Then, Chloe (lazyexplorers.blogspot.com) was the first person interested in my drawings, and she asked me if I could do an illustration of her. It made me so happy, more than she thinks.

What is your preferred medium?
I'm unable to draw digitally, I always need a good pen and paper. It's not that I don't like digital art, but I love to get dirty with paint, or feel the texture of the paper when I paint with watercolors. It's a different feeling. But I use photoshop for colouring most of my illustrations. For photography I love to use film, but it's too expensive.

What inspires you to create art?
My friends, a walk with my beloved dog or a song. Every situation can be inspiring, but I think it's important to work constantly to stay creative.

Which of your artwork pieces is your favorite?
I think the last illustration I did for Please Note blog and our first short film Daydream. (I can't show the whole piece, because we want to present it in a few local cinemas and festivals) but I have the trailer (https://vimeo.com/40620175).

Are there any artists you look up to?
Of course. Gemma Correll (http://gemmacorrell.com/) for example, I love her cats and all of her drawings, she is an amazing artist. I love Hayao Miyazaki's work too, he is my inspiration since I was a
child. I also like talented artists like Nan Lawson (http://nanlawson.com/) or Harriet Russell(http://www.harrietrussell.co.uk/).



What's the best thing about being an artist?
When someone appreciates your work.

What's the worst thing about being an artist?
Money. It's hard when you don't know if you will have a job, or if you will be able to continue working in something else and creating things.

What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
I am an aspiring artist, I mean, when you are an aspiring artist you don't stop searching, learning, and being like an sponge.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Engagement Photos.